Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Mommy Milestone

Well, I hit a mommy milestone yesterday. I had to rush my own child to the ER. I've been rushed to the ER, I've watched others children while they rushed the injured one to the ER, but I've never had to take my child.

It turned out to be much ado about nothing, but Maestro was running through the house, he fell, and cut underneath his lip. Actually, his teeth went all the way through from the inside to the outside. It bled so badly that at first I couldn't even tell where he was cut. We had plans to meet friends at Fun Time Junction (a great indoor play space) so I hoped we could stop the bleeding and get there. Maestro was very good about letting me ice it and eventually the bleeding stopped. Then as I tried to clean him up, I realized the cut went all the way through. It was so gross. I didn't even call the doc, I just called the friend we were supposed to meet and headed to the ER.

I was so proud of Galileo. He really took it all in stride and was trying to cheer Maestro up by singing to him. Luckily, I have a friend who lives right across from the hospital so she came and got Galileo and took him home to play with her son. Keeping them both under control for 3 hours in the ER would have been a nightmare!

Anyway, as it turns out, it didn't need stitches and they just sent me home with antibiotic ointment and instructions to see our pedi this AM. I took Galileo in and Dr. C. said all is fine. She said I probably didn't even need to come in, but she had talked to the ER doc and he really wanted her to see him. The reassuring thing was that she said that if I had called she would have told me to take him to the ER for stitches. So, at least I know I didn't over react.

I was very disappointed to miss Fun Time Junction. I think since he got a playdate with someone else that Galileo was fine with missing it. This is a woman I really want to get to know better and I know Galileo really considers her son a friend. Oh well, another time.

Now, off to clean. Nothing got done yesterday and I'm hosting Maestro's playgroup on Friday.

No comments: