Monday, November 03, 2008

I'm a Nervous Wreck

Galileo had a big second grade project and presentation due today. They had to create their "perfect pet", make a bed for it, and then get up in front of the class to talk about their pet. Galileo really did a great job, but he has developed a shy streak. His sensory issues also make him a little socially awkward. He wouldn't practice in front of us last night and said he didn't want his class to clap for him. They are not allowed to bring notes or anything to read from. This morning as we were walking out the door, he lamented "I didn't have time to practice". GRRR

I'm dying to know how it went/is going. I wish I were a fly on the wall. I typed his thoughts up for him just to get him started. As he was telling me what was special about his pet, he was baby talking. I so hope he doesn't do that in class! He did a great job on the pet itself. Its made out of a cardboard box with a paper towel tube for a neck and 10 legs made from cut up paper towel tubes. The head is a little toy basket ball. It also has "spikes" and wings made from egg cartons. He and daddy then spray painted it. I have to remember to get a picture!

Here is what he wrote about it.

My Perfect Pet

My pet is an imaginary animal called a “fly-t-apillar. His name is Snaky . He is special because he protects me from the scary things at night. He chases the scary things away. He acts like the worst monster ever, to protect me.
He has ten green legs to help him crawl up walls. He has a green head. He has 2 silver wings to fly. He has an orange belly that acts like an extra sucker foot to help him attach to the walls. He doesn't use it on the floor. He only uses it for climbing on walls and ceilings. He has spikes to protect himself. He is 17 inches long, 7 inches tall and 10 inches wide.
My pet sleeps in a cocoon and takes naps during the day. His cocoon is made out of a tough web that he makes with his feet.


Galeleo has been having a lot of issues sleeping at night due to anxiety and scary thoughts so I thought this was a pretty good creation! I just hope his presentation went ok.

No comments: