Sunday, April 10, 2005

Great Day and Good Weekend too

Wow, what a creative title. But, if I am going to record the memories of my boys' lives I can't get hung up on a fancy title or I will never write anything.

Galileo's nursery school had a benefit fundraising concert by a local kids' musician Big Jeff. I was exhausted. Up way too late making posters that I had wanted hubby to make last weekend. Also just not feeling well. Not sure if it was asthma, allergies or a cold, but just generally lousy feeling! BUT, I helped decorate the gym on Friday afternoon while keeping my 2 monsters out of trouble and then got there to do what I needed to do Saturday. All the kids and most of the adults seemed to have a great time. Big Jeff did a great job for just one guy, a guitar and a room full of kids. Best of all, we made some good money for the school. Its the first time a fundraiser like this has been done by this school. We did it fairly low key and did great! Sold 130 tix presale and almost 30 at the door. Plus made good money on the snack bar. woo hoo!!

It was a little hard on Galileo. 2 of his friends have gotten very attached to eachother and kept excluding him. One of them is a classmate that he has always had issues with off and on. The other was a classmate last year who he still plays with because his mom and I are friends. It was sad watching Galileo desperate to play with the other kids and not knowing how to help him. I suggested he go sit with another boy. He did and they had fun, but then got too rough in their dancing/playing and the other mother intervened. I probably let it go on too long, but I was thrilled to see him being so physical. Last year, having someone touch him or even wave their hand in his face made him crazy.

Afterwards, we went to an early dinner at a Mexican place that I have never tried. It was great and the boys were so well behaved. We parked right by a shoe store so we got the boys new shoes and got me a pair of sandals. I got a pair of sandals that I now hope I can return. I wore them out of the store though, so I may not be able to.

Today we got a late start, but had an excellent day. Mom is here to help out while hubby is away. I couldn't convince her to go to San Diego with us (hubby is there for a conference) so I told her we would have fun if she came here. It was a gorgeous day. 74 degrees and sunny. I was determined that we have a good outside day because it is going down to the 50's for the rest of the week. Fine temps for the boys and I, but mom will be cold outside. First, though, I knew I had to have new shoes. I have had so much foot, ankle, knee and back pain that I can barely function. No way I could do any of the day trips we want to do. So, we went to the Walking Company in the fancy schmancy mall that I never go to. Many women shop there in their furs and heels. Its just not me. The shoe store was across Versace for god's sake. Anyway, it was heaven. The woman really knew what she was doing as far as fitting and finding the right shoe for people. I came away with 3 Pairs! hubby is going to have a fit at the cost, but it was so worth it!

Galileo was hungry, so we stopped at a taco place in the mall and then ate in the car. Then, we headed up to Fosterfields Historical Farm in Morristown. We got there late so most of the demonstrations were over, but the kids did get to help gather eggs in the chicken coop. Well, I got Maestro's egg, but he came in with me and got to touch it. It was fun! We also got birthday cake in the farmhouse (it was the birthday of the woman who was one of the original owners of the farm), got to milk a pretend cow, see sheep, baby pigs, the mama pig etc. Maestro just loved running across the grass. Mom enjoyed it because it was the same era as the farm she grew up on. Most of the women volunteers were dressed the way her mother used to dress. It was very fun and low key. After the farm we drove by the "castle playground" to see if it was reopened yet. It was, so we stopped and let the kids play. They had a ball. They were cooperative at dinner and at bedtime (for the most part) even if it did take them FOREVER to fall asleep.

Maestro has said and done so many funny things this weekend and of course now I can't remember what. Galileo was quite a pistol yesterday and this AM, but he did great once we left the house. He was so patient at the shoe store while mom and I tried on and bought shoes. I wish I knew what caused the change so I could replicate it all the time. I wonder if part of it was grandma being on him as much as me. She has a hard time holding her tongue instead of correcting his behavior. I have told her she is Grandma. She just needs to spoil them and leave the correction/disciplining to me. She just doesn't seem to be able to do it though. She has calmed down some though today, so maybe it helped.

OK, need to write up my to do list for tomorrow. Then, fold some laundry and get some sleep. tomorrow I have to get a permit for the deck, figure out how to get an extension from the IRS and state, take M. to music, go to the allergist for my asthma (and admit to her I lost the instructions on how to take the prednisone), make an apt with the psychiatrist, and clean the house. I'm sure there's a few more things I forgot.

phew! can't decide if I'm tired or too jazzed up to sleep.

Tomorrow will be low key as far as outings. Galileo is in school until 1 and then I have my allergy apt at 2. Also need to go to grocery store and hope to get waxed while mom is here. Tuesday, we hope to do a day trip of some sort. Probably the natural history museum or the Aquarium. Better get to sleep or to work!

No comments: